How to get Your Skippers Ticket?

You need a Recreational Skippers Ticket if you want to skipper a boat with an engine over 6hp (4.5kw). You have to be over 14 years old to get your Skippers Ticket.

Step 1- Book a course

We cater to all levels of experience from beginner to expert. Places available right away, flexible with times, weekends and weekdays. Personal training in small groups, helpful, professional and relaxed.

Step 2- Get the Recreational Skippers Ticket Workbook

Download the PDF (link at the bottom) and you can read through the workbook on your device

If you would like a hard-copy of the workbook you can request to have a Skippers Ticket Workbook sent to you by emailing: . You can call the RST hotline to have one sent to you- 9216 8966

Step 3- I.D./ Eyesight

If you have a valid Australian drivers licence and are of normal health you do not need an Eyesight test or a Medical Declaration. A valid Australian Drivers Licence (Learners Permit included) is all you need for proof of identity and having adequate eyesight to be able to operate a boat. If you have a valid Australian Drivers licence you DO NOT need to get an eye test done. Your Australian Drivers Licence is the only document you will need to bring to the assessment. If you don’t have a drivers licence you will need to provide proof of identity and get an eyesight test done. Proof of identity: You need ONE full proof of identity document, no other I.D. required

  • Australian Drivers Licence
  • Australian Passport
  • Proof of age Card
  • Australian Defence force photographic identity card
  • Federal or Western Australian police officer photographic identity card
  • Marine Certificate of Competency carrying a photograph of the holder

If you don’t have any of these items DO NOT WORRY you can still get your Skippers Ticket. Follow this link to get all the info on I.D. requirements: You can also call 0449 174 350 to speak to a real person who can give you all the info you need.

Eyesight Test

If you don’t have a valid Australian Drivers Licence you will need to get an eyesight test doneThis MUST be on the correct DoT form or the Department of Transport won’t accept it. To download the form click here: Eyesight Test/Medical Declaration form The eyesight test can be done with any medical professional- G.P., Optometrist, or registered nurse.

Please note that the Declaration of Medical Fitness is attached to the eyesight form. The Declaration of Medical Fitness only needs to be done if you have a serious medical condition.

Medical Declaration

The Medical declaration only needs to be done if you have a serious medical condition that would affect your ability to Skipper a Boat. Such conditions include:

  • Epilepsy, fits, Giddiness, Fainting, Seizures,
  • Heart Disease
  • High/Low Blood Pressure
  • Arthritis
  • Type 1 Diabetes

Skippers Tickets for Under 18’s

Anyone aged 14 and over can get their Skippers Ticket. If you are under 18 you must have a letter of consent signed by your parent or legal guardian before you can be assessed. To get a copy of the consent form click here:Consent Form If you don’t have an Australian Drivers Licence (learners permit accepted) you must get an eye test done (this is the same for over 18 or under 18). This must be on the correct form, as mentioned above.

If you have any of these or any other condition that you think will affect your ability to Skipper a boat then you must get a medical test. If your medical condition does not affect your ability to Skipper a boat then you do not need to do the Declaration of Medical Fitness. To download Medical Declaration form click link above.

Licence transfer

If you have a valid interstate or overseas boating licence you can get it transferred. Download the PDF file below for the full list of Recognised Qualifications. Call to arrange a time to transfer your boating licence

Skippers Ticket Workbook

Essential Knowledge

Eyesight Test

Your eyesight test must be on this DoT approved form

Consent form for under 18's

If you’re under 18, you must have a letter of consent

RPL/ Transfer Qualifications

List of recognised interstate and international qualifications